Sunday, January 16, 2011

Unusual Town Names: Smackover

Several years back, my sister's boyfriend had to go to Arkansas for work, to a town called Smackover. He brought back Goo a great shirt, but he didn't bring me shit. I was disappointed he didn't take the opportunity to give me something marvelous from Smackover. I think it's cause he dislikes my poetry. Genuis makes some people uncomfortable. BUT I DIGRESS. Smackover, AR is home to some 2,000 souls, with - SWEET LORD - a whopping 91% of families below the poverty line?! Oh wait, that says 9.1%. That is still a lot, but phew! It was 'a rough and tumble oil boom town' and is now home to the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources. It is the birthplace of American roots musician Sleepy LaBeef, who singlehandedly just started a new feature called Unusual American Roots Musician Names.


Ed. note: This gentleman is neither Goo's boyfriend nor, to my knowledge, Sleepy LaBeef. As far as I can tell he is just your average lover of Smackover.

And that's all I got on Smackover. If anyone goes there, please bring me back a shirt. THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!

1 comment:

  1. Just informed Better Half of the existence of this post. His response: "I don't wanna recall that. Smackover sucked."
    Goo

    ReplyDelete