Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cram it, smile demanders!

On my walk to work this morning, a man hollered at me "Smile baby, it can't be that bad!" Being told to smile by randos as I walk down the street is one of my greatest pet peeves. First of all, I'm just freaking walking down the street - do I really need to do it with a goofy grin plastered to my mug at all times? Secondly, how the HELL do you know that things aren't that bad? Maybe my dog just died, asshat. Finally, it is of course completely sexist - I guaran-damn-tee you that guy isn't telling men they should be smiling all the time.

But luckily, I was able to cheer myself right back up, as I noticed the man in question was yelling at me from the driver's seat of a garbage truck, and immediately recalled one of my favorite bits from comedian David Cross. Mr. Cross here is talking about garbage men sexually harassing women from their trucks, just as I encountered today:

"I could ask out a ninety nine chicks, and get ninety nine nos, but maybe, just maybe, that hundredth chick likes to f*ck on a pile of trash."

And then I laughed my way to work.

2 comments:

  1. Word to the wise...don't visit Sitopogo. You have to greet not just smile at everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely my biggest pet peeve. It is so condescending and infantilizing.

    ReplyDelete